Information About Our Services – Carroll County Head Start
Catholic Charities’ Head Start and Early Head Start of Carroll County has been providing comprehensive family development services for all of Carroll County since 2000. 191 families and children are served annually. Catholic Charities Head Start & Early Head Start operates at three locations in Carroll County: Westminster Non-Profit Building, Church of the Brethren and Taneytown. The main offices are located in Westminster.
Head Start helps young children succeed – providing them with activities that help them grow mentally, socially, emotionally and physically. Head Start recognizes that parents are the first and most important teachers of young children.
• A federally funded program for prenatal through pre-school children from low-income families
• Operated by local non-profit organizations in almost every city or state in the United States and U.S. territories
• Focused on providing children with experiences that help them grow mentally, emotionally, socially and physically
• Geared to provide families with resources that make them strong, independent and successful
• Carroll County Head Start and Early Head Start is MSDE Accredited
Our staff recognizes that, as parents, you are the first and most important teachers in you child’s life. We welcome your involvement in our activities and will work as partners with you to help your child succeed.
• Love, acceptance, understanding, and the opportunities to learn and experience success for each child
• Medical and dental care support, healthy meals and snacks, exercise, and playtime in a safe setting—both indoors and outdoors
• Highly qualified teachers who implement the state approved Creative Curriculum daily, utilizing observations, ongoing classroom assessments and parent input to develop individual School Readiness goals
• A developmental screening within 45 days of enrollment (Each child enrolled in the program receives this) that serves as a snapshot of your child’s development at the time of enrollment.
• Further screening: Carroll County Head Start Staff utilizes the Ages and Stages Questionnaires (ASQ & ASQ-SE) as screening tools. Data from the screenings will be used to establish School Readiness goals for children and initiate the referral process if necessary.
• Partnership with Carroll County Public Schools and The Judy Center to ensure a smooth transition for children and families entering kindergarten
• A sense of belonging
• Individualized activities to promote growth and development
• Family activities
• Nutritious meals and snacks, along with nutrition education for the family. Family style-meals are served daily, and parents and families receive important nutrition education
• Adult classes in child development, job training, health, nutrition, and more
• Inclusive services for children with disabilities (ADA, IDEA)
• Opportunities to earn your General Equivalency Diploma (GED) through our partnership with Families Learning Together, parent education and support for pregnant women, as well as other adult education opportunities
• Help and referrals for personal problems such as health, substance abuse and job loss
• Free dental exams
• In-home services provided for prenatal families