Inspired by the Gospel mandates to love, serve and teach, Catholic Charities provides care and services to improve the lives of Marylanders in need.
Cherishing the Divine Within, we are committed to a Maryland where each person has the opportunity to reach his or her God-given potential.
- To Love. “Love your neighbor as yourself.” – Mark 12:31
Love is why we do what we do. It is our ultimate motivation. Our love is the reason for respect, trust, quality and accountability across the entire Catholic Charities Family.
- To Serve. “Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.” – Matthew 25:40
As the service arm of the Church in the Archdiocese, we are called to serve in many ways. Together with our parishes, partners, volunteers and other supporters, we carry out the mandate to serve the vulnerable of Maryland through dozens of programs.
- To Teach. “Go, teach all nations.” – Matthew 28:19
It is not enough to provide service; we must help those we serve help themselves. We will “teach our clients to fish” so that they can enjoy more independent lives, free from poverty and ignorance. We will also teach and learn from each other, our volunteers, donors and partners, as well as the public in general.
- To Work for Justice. “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness.” – Matthew 5:6
To be true to our mission and realize our vision, we must mobilize resources beyond our agency. We must be tireless advocates on behalf of Maryland’s most vulnerable so that they can live in dignity and have access to their fair share of the rich bounty of our state.
- Collaboration. We work cooperatively with many stakeholders in our Family: clients, staff, volunteers, donors, funders, government partners and other agencies. We freely share our ideas and expertise with those who serve.
- Humility. We believe humility is power. The power to see a better way someone else invented. The power to listen. The power to change when change is needed. The power to accept our imperfections and grow beyond our limitations.
- Transparency. We are clear about who we are: our mission, vision, values, goals and decision-making. We are a witness to the world of the Gospel values that guide us.
- Efficacy. We strive to make a difference in people’s lives in real, measurable, positive ways.
- Endurance. We believe our efforts will be most sustainable and effective if they address the needs and values of all our stakeholders.
- Dignity. We treat everyone with respect, Cherishing the Divine Within.
- Access. Our Catholic social teaching calls us to welcome persons of all faiths – as clients, employees and volunteers.